Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I wanna be like you!

After going on several outings with Alexys these past three months, I have realized a few things about youth and who they look up to. One of my favorite movies when I was little was the movie, The Jungle Book, and in this movie is a song called "I wanna be like you". Here are the lyrics, as a little reminder:

I wanna be like you.
I wanna talk like you.
Walk like you, too.
You'll see it's true.
Someone like me.
Can learn to be.
Like someone like me.
Can learn to be.
Like someone like you.
Can learn to be.
Like someone like me!
I realize how much Alexys wants to be like me by the way she acts, dresses, and talks. A few examples are; when we went swimming she wanted her hair up in a pony tail like mine, she had to cross her legs like me in the movie theaters, and she will often see what clothes or shoes I'm wearing and go for a quick change before we leave the house. I guess I didn't realize how much Alexys wants to be like me, until you really look at the small things. This reallys hits home, as I'm a mentor for youth ages 21 and under. Now, with every action I take, every word I say and every article of clothing I wear, I have to realize that someone out there wants to be just like me.
Here is a link to the song:

No comments:

Post a Comment