Thursday, January 21, 2010

One Tough Question

As I edit articles for my junior members for their Scoop newsletter, I noticed where one junior staff member asked twenty 9 year olds the question of what do you want to be when you grow up? Of course, many of them responded with veternarian, policeman, dirt bike racer, professional football player, nurse and teacher. One young lady even wanted to be a pig farmer! (I imagine she will regret that when she reads this article 10 years down the road.)

I believe when I was under the age of 10 this was the easiest question in the book, but once I got into college and currently as a young professional, I feel as if I don't have a concrete answer. At age 5 I knew I wanted to be a teacher, but now at age 24 I have ideas and goals of working in youth leadership and development, but not sure at what capacity.

As I read through the answers these 9 year olds responded with about what they do for fun, what they want to be when they grow up, and someone famous they would like to meet, I wish we could go back in time to my younger days. At age 9, I knew exactly what I wanted to do in life and didn't have to worry about selecting a career that I enjoyed and one that would support a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment